- Make a few handmade cards (or using store bought ones is fine, too, but a homemade card is so special). Use construction paper, stickers, rhinestones, ribbon, hot glue – have fun! See some great arts & crafts websites for inspiration.
- Write a short message or whatever inspires you. Something as simple as “Hello Dear Friend, you are special” or “Hello Dear Soul, You are loved and appreciated” or “Hello Special Person, I am thinking of you and sending you love and a hug” are great (some people have even chosen to write longer letters or include jokes). Use large print that is easy to read.
- Take a photos of your beautiful cards to post on Instagram @nursinghomecardproject and on Facebook @nursinghomecardproject and tag others. The more people that know about this project the better!
- Call a local nursing home FIRST (this is important). Ask to speak to the Head of Recreation and tell them about your wonderful project. Say you want to let them know AHEAD OF TIME that the cards are in the mail so they don’t get lost or thrown out. Ask for his or her name and email. Tell him or her you WILL BE ADDRESSING THE PACKAGE TO THE NURSING HOME WITH HIS OR HER NAME ON THE PACKAGE (for example : Rutland Nursing Home C/O Madeleine Chilton, 585 Schenectady Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11203). And feel free to mail cards to Rutland Nursing home! We need more!
- Go the post office and mail!
- My mother was an angel and she always said it is our job to lift others up however we can. Will you help remind our beautiful elderly that they are not alone or forgotten?
- Don’t forget to post your pictures on the social media (Instagram @nursinghomecardproject and Facebook @nursinghomecardproject) and tag!
- Happy card making!
Donations also appreciated